Skip to main content

Building Websites in the Swan Valley

There's a whole bunch of stuff you can't say on your business website, so maybe here's the place to say it.

I moved to The Swan Valley at the end of October this year. I was kind of dreading the distance, but weirdly, it's had a very positive effect on my freelance web site development business. For one thing, it's quiet here. As long as you're tucked away from major traffic routes, most places in Perth are quiet, but this place is deathly quiet. There are absolutely no excuses not to get down to work. Most of my friends have left  freelancing and are now working for the man in various capacities, so I'm unlikely to go skiving off for a coffee at the local cafe.

I've got about 10 websites on the go presently and about two websites need to be finished in the coming week. I was going great guns until last week, when about 20 of my sites (I have about 100 clients) were needlessly hacked. I rolled the questionable server back to the day before the breach and upped the security on both the server and the individual sites. Sites were back up and running within about 48hrs, but it took a whole full time week to get them up again. So I'm behind a week.

Anybody who hosts with me (I buy server space in the US very cheaply out of Indonesia) also gets free lifetime support for their website. It was a bit nuts of me to announce this, but I get so few phone calls from clients, it was an easy no-brainer. I know larger companies can't offer that service and since I announced free support at the beginning of this year, only a few people have taken me up on it.

Free Website Support?

What does it mean? It means I am available to answer the phone during office hours any time of the day. It's actually a misnomer to be honest. Sure, people can call me, but that often means that they want something done. If I was a bit more ruthless, I'd say that FREE support is really an opportunity to on-sell amazing new products or services. But I'm not. I probably ought to be that person (being in business and all) but I'm simply ... not. Weirdly, the people who have called up and wanted help usually have wanted me to do some paid work on their website. Be it PayPal integration for an Opera Singer website or, as in one case, a date calendar to remind Mums and Dads to enrol their child in early education classes.

But I find it really interesting that a service that I decided to offer, with my best intentions at heart, was designed to be free, has generated so much work. With 10 websites on the go, I've got enough work on at the moment, so don't need to "make money" as such. 

Shameless Plug

This part is something I'm experimenting with. I've decided to include a sponsor at the end of my message in the form of a shameless plug. My clients keep me alive, so i only see it as a worthwhile task to link back to the site I built for them and recommend their services. So ...

If you're looking for good solar panel installation in Adelaide South Australia, give my mate, Wayne a call on 0412761701. He's a freelance electrician who's keen to cut out the middle man and give you a good deal on solar power.


Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've got a really good idea for a film . . .

Phil commented on that last piece. I forget that people actually read these things. I assumed you were all lazy and illiterate ;) Yes . . . as Phil says . . . we have taken time to write this screenplay. And it's depressing to think about it. Sometimes I feel like Marshall in Absolutely Fabulous . Marshall went to Hollywood 20 years ago to develop a screenplay with a studio. People in various episodes ask him how it's going. He usually has an actor attached, or a big producer, or an out-of-work director . . . No doubt Jennifer Saunders has met a few of these people . The industry is teaming with writers working on a screenplay. Until a screenplay becomes a film - it's only a blueprint - not considered an art form in itself. And yet it takes such a long time to write one. When people ask me what I do - I answer web designer . It's my knee-jerk, "pat" response. It's also less problematic and gets me more $work than if I say, "filmmaker".

The Three by Five Card Index System

Here's another approach to writing your screenplay. The screenwriter's friend. Introducing the infamous Three by Five Card Index System . Wow! How can I get one? In my case - I made it. What it amounts to is this: Three 90cm x 40cm sheets of chipboard hinged together so that the whole thing stands like a concertina on a table or floor. Every 5cm or so down, I have drawing-pinned small cardboard hinges (triangles if you will) made from old file dividers. These become placeholders for your cards. A couple of bunches of 3 inch by 5 inch index cards (available in packs of 100 at any newsagency) and there you have it. A sure fire way to make your screenplay bubble to the top of the pile . . . Not. But it's a tool and writers need their tools. Cool. How does it work? As you can see - each act has three mini-acts in it (fitting in with Australian script theorist Linda Heys' Second Act Story ). Or rather - going one step further and suggesting that all three acts have a begi

The Drug That Killed River Phoenix

This article was going to be about a new drug I'm on called Duomine , but as I knew very little about River Phoenix (aka the vegan Jimmy Dean ) I thought I'd swat up on what's really going on behind that brain-worm ditty. I'll talk about Duomine another time. The song line I'm on the drug that killed River Phoenix is from Aussie alternative band TISM's tasteless 1995 single (He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River - and it's a bit cheap, frankly. The single's cover shows a mock-up of River's tombstone and was released shortly after his death. TISM were well-known for criticisin Imperial Hollywood and US pop culture, but they were masters when it came to borrowed interest marketing. More about these guys later. River Bottom's Awkward Life In 1944, River's mother Arlyn was born to a Jewish family living in the Bronx. When she finished school, she married a computer programmer but quickly grew bored of her secretarial life. In 196